AILASA Lifetime Achievement Award
The Association of Iberian and Latin American Studies of Australasia (AILASA) Lifetime Achievement Award is made in special circumstances following a recommendation to the Executive Committee by any member of AILASA. It is awarded in recognition of exceptional achievement and contribution to Iberian and Latin American Studies of one of its members, as well as in recognition of exceptional service to the Association.
1. The Award is given in recognition of a lifetime’s achievement. Normally, the nominated individual would no longer be in full-time employment or actively serving on the AILASA Executive.
2. There is no requirement to make an annual award.
3. “Achievement” admits of no fixed definition but, normally, the individual will have made a significant contribution to the development of Iberian and Latin American Studies in Australasia and command an international reputation. Thus, and by way of example only, we would expect the successful nominee to have published at least two internationally significant books over the course of his or her career.
4. “Service” admits of no fixed definition, but normally, the individual will have given significant and/or exceptional service to the Association, including the Association’s journal, the Journal of Iberian and Latin American Research.
5. Nominations must include both a statement of the case for the award and the CV of the nominated individual. Testimony from a variety of individuals is encouraged. Active service to AILASA will also be looked upon favourably.
6. The decision will be made by a sub-committee chaired by the current President of AILASA. Past winners will be encouraged to participate in the judging process for future awards.
7. The sub-committee may at its discretion seek advice on the standing, national and international, of any nominee.
8. AILASA will name only the winner, not the nominees.
9. The winner will be invited to attend the biennial AILASA conference, registration paid, to receive the award.
10. Life membership of AILASA is automatically conferred to recipients of the Lifetime Achievement Award.
Nominations should be emailed to the AILASA secretary (email@example.com) by 31 August 2020.